Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Hacked

From: "Bluefish [@ home]" <11a () gmx net>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 16:19:29 +0100 (CET)

that you want to be able to get to, disable everything and install sshd. Telnet
is not secure. Make sure you get a brand spanking new ftp daemon, a couple
weeks ago a big exploit was found in many of them. Or just be really 3leet and
pipe ftp though ssh.

Uh, question. How do I stop people from using FTP without ssh encryption,
without only using the sftp? I understand that some of you think the idea
of using a less secure application is silly, but there are number of
reasons to remain using the old deamon. In short I want it to display
those same messages, and disallow shell access (one bad thing with sftp is
that it can only run as long as the local user is logged in, so it is
hard - well I don't know how - to set it up so that it runs as a normal
ftp)

argh. that was a lot of text... What I was wondering is if I somehow could
firewall tcp21 (FTP port) and still have it (the same application)
accessable through ssh tunneling somehow?

that I should update the deamons to latest versions anyway is obvious.

[icq.im.away] 611251
[email.ilove] ealliance$hotmail.com || 11a$gmx.net
[web.we.rock] http://194.236.13.242/11a/index.html
[web.we.rock] http://home.swipnet.se/~w-12702/11A/