Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: dns outbound

From: "Buckley, Neil" <buckley () network-1 com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 09:48:32 -0400

Hello,

The easiest way to reduce the risk of your udp rule set is to setup a dns
relay and allow your internal users to connect to that, which would be
in-front of your FW-1 box allowing you to limit inbound and outbound DNS
with your rule set/policy.  The down side would be that you require some
knowledge of bind running on your favorite flavor of UNIX.  I don't believe
the NT version of Bind is still a supported software???.  It goes without
saying, but I'll say it anyway extensive hardening of the DNS relay machine
is a must, as well as some level of secure admin/authentication(SSH).

--Neil