Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: HTML DOS? (http://microsoft.com/NTServer/all/Downloads.asp)

From: John Lines <John.Lines () aeat co uk>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 14:21:28 +0100

Roger Marquis wrote:

Has anyone attempted to browse:

        http://microsoft.com/NTServer/all/Downloads.asp

        <HTML><HEAD>

        <META HTTP-EQUIV="PICS-Label" CONTENT='(PICS-1.1
        "http://www.rsac.org/ratingsv01.html"; l comment "RSACi North America
        Server" by "inet () microsoft com" r (n 0 s 0 v 0 l 0))'> <META
        NAME="MS.LOCALE" CONTENT="EN-US"> <LINK REL="stylesheet"
        TYPE="text/css" HREF="/NTServer/global/Netscape.css"> <SCRIPT
        SRC="/ntserver/inc/jscripts.js" LANGUAGE="javascript">

        </SCRIPT></HEAD>

Is there a tool (other than tcpdump) which can examine this
"Netscape.css" script?

Interestingly enough if I view the page with Lynx I see
"/NTServer/global/IE4.css"

as the Cascading Style Sheets entry (and Lynx retrieves the page very quickly)

(If you have software which allows you to fake your Browser Type header it
would be interesting to see what you get, and how well Netscape would cope
with the various results)

        John Lines

p.s. This *could* of course just be Microsoft being kind to those of their
customers who choose to use Netscape by providing them with a customised
browsing experience, but I personally wish web content providers would focus
a bit more on providing decent content and less on the bells and whistles.