Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Load balancer in lieu of firewall...

From: The Unicorn <unicorn () blackhats org>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 13:12:37 +0200

Hi John,

On Mon, May 24, 1999 at 10:51:34AM -0400, John Nanas wrote:
Greets to all-

Pardon the simple question, but I've been bombarded by marketing material
and now have little sense left in me to make a rational decision.

We've been investigating load balancers for a new website that we're going
to launch.  The site has to be reasonably secure, which is why we've
allocated budget for a firewall as well as a load balancer.  The makers of
the BigIP, F5 Labs, assure us that the packet filtering features of their
load balancer are sufficient, and that we don't need a firewall.

I need to make a case of this, in simple terms, to my superiors.  Granted
that the device does packet filtering, it offers a good deal of security.
It does not have a telnet interface, and all configuration takes place using
SSL.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to why this wouldn't work?

Depends on the security of your webserver (and other servers you want to
provide to the outside world). Packet filters just determine if a packet
may enter or  not. After entering I  (oops, I mean the  "evil hacker" of
course ;-) talk directly to your  server. If there is a vulnerability in
that  complex piece  of software  no packet  filter is  going to  secure
you, but a application proxy firewall might...

Thanks,
John Nanas

---end quoted text---

Ciao,
Unicorn.
--
     ,;( )_, )~\| A Truly Wise Man Never Plays   PGP: 64 07 5D 4C 3F 81 22 73