Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Exchange Questions

From: sean.kelly () lanston com
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 10:33:23 -0400

I assume by DMZ you will have a third or fourth interface on FW1?

I prefer this since this will prevent inbound connections to internal
hosts. This is what I do for Lotus Notes, Exchange etc. Also,
I'll setup
the hosts on the third and fourth interfaces with real (untranslated)
address. Then all the hosts on the internal interface have translated
addresses.

I can see the paranoia benefit of setting up an exchange/smtp server outside
the firewall and using it to forward mail to an internal address -- you
could make the packet forwarding rules tighter -- but I can't imagine
wanting my only exchange server to be there.  Having an internal email
server just sitting on the net doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Sean