Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Is this for real

From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy () cospo osis gov>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:36:45 -0500 (EST)

   * It is not really an "air gap"
   * IMHO, "air gap" it is just a buzzy phrase for a proxy firewall

I have not actually evaluated the product, and have no idea how good a firewall
it is, but it is basically a proxy firewall.  Evaluate it as such.  Comment:
consider how much you can trust a vendor that gives a product an apparently
misleading name like "air gap".

On the one hand, yes; but how much can you trust many vendors anyway?
They are run by their marketing groups.

On the other hand, that is exactly the phrase I use to describe what a
proxy firewall is to panicky upper management types who suddenly wake up
and realize that their computers are DIRECTLY CONNECTED to the Big Bad
Evil Internet.  No, I tell them, we have a proxy firewall in place.
Well, they've read their Upper Management magazines, and they know that
firewalls just let packets through and become easily hacked.  So I use
this phrase to explain the difference between a packet filter and a
proxying firewall.  It makes them feel that they understand it.  ;-)

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () cospo osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support                                     EMT-B