Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Security urban legends

From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy () cospo osis gov>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 14:34:07 -0500

On Wed, Nov 10, 1999 at 07:31:44AM -0800, Litney, Tom wrote:
Ok, I have another one for the list.  As I recall last year (could be wrong
the mind wobbles) the legend was going around that internet spam was really
spawned by the NSA as a known plain text attack on our encrypted tunnels.

I don't remember hearing that one.  It does occur to me that "The
Internet will have melted down by this time next year" has long since
passed into Legend status.  ;-)

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () cospo osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support                                     EMT-B