Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: WebTrends Alternative

From: Steve Anich <sjanich () Mke ab com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 10:35:31 -0600 (CST)

Maybe we should talk about this 'starting a company' concept offline heheh.
I'm fairly certain I could write a product (with some help) that would undercut
webtrends pricing by 3/4.

How about just an Open Source effort that is made publically available?

I think the most difficult aspect of this would be the question 'how do you
automate moving the logs off of th box' be it windows NT, Solaris, Nokia, or
whatever platform checkpoint's currently running on.

Perhaps an FTP-Only account on the firewall. The Log Analaysis machine
could be a Linux or Free BSD machine running Expect to automate getting
the logs. It could load them into a freebie RDBMS like mySQl. Apache could
be running on the machine as the web front end. Use Perl with DBI/DBD, GNU
Plot and the GD modules to generate reports and graphs and stuff.  If that
isn't quick enough, play around the Perl compiler and see if that helps
performance. Or just access the mySQl database from across the network
from some machine with fancy report writing functionality.

--steve

--
Steve Anich
Rockwell Automation