Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FW1 - NAT hide problem

From: Thomas Piergallini <pierre () elkrun chantilly va us>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 09:00:37 -0500 (EST)

With firewall-1 and NAT the packets must be routed through the NT system, in
order for your hide to take effect.

With NT RAS, merely selecting the IP Forwarding box in the network properties is
not enough to get the packets to route out across the RAS connection.  You have
to make the registry change below to get packets to route across a RAS PPP
connection.

1.Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

2.Go to the following key:
   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasArp\Parameters

3.From the Edit menu, click Add Value.

4.Enter the following value:
    Value name: DisableOtherSrcPackets
    Value Type: REG_DWORD
    Range: Boolean (0 or 1)
    Default: 1 (not in Registry)
5.Exit Registry Editor.

You need to make the value a "0" to get the packets to route across RAS PPP.
Do not forget to reboot.  Your other choice is to run all packets throught the
Security Servers, but that would defeat the whole point of using a checkpoint
statefull firewall.

-pierre