Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: "Proactive" Password Checking

From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy () cospo osis gov>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 20:23:08 -0500 (EST)

Just got a strange request from the boss about password checking.
Now do not get me wrong, when the boss says he wants to be more
security conscience I get excited especially when he backs it up with
money.  Now I need your all's help.
  He said that he read an article about a piece of software, that
runs on NT, that automatically checks passwords every so often or
however often you schedule it.  However, he can not remember where he
saw the article or what the software is.  Do you all have any idea?
TIA,
Jim Raykowski        San Diego, CA
jimrski () san rr com   MCSE, MCP. MCP + I

Sounds like someone may have ported 'crack' to MSW-NT.  Be aware that,
unless you have a written security policy in place, a program to make
sure that employees at least pretend that they've read it [signing an
agreement], and written directions from your boss instructing you to do
this, this could land YOU in hot water.

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () cospo osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support                                     EMT-B