Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures taxonomy

From: "Anton J Aylward" <anton () the-wire com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 14:46:59 -0400

On Thursday, October 21, 1999 12:39 PM  Adam Shostack [mailto:adam () homeport org] said:

"the CVE is also not a database"  Thus, I'm saying, in agreement with
what Scott and Russ posted, that its not a taxonomy nor a database.

| Of course you could just stop calling it a "taxonomy" and I'll stop
| berating you for it.

I never called it a taxonomy.  Stop anytime.  :)

;-)

Good, we can agree now.

(* nods vigorously *)

On one of my shelves, as a left over from a time at the seminary
(lets not go onto that) I have a book that cross references words
in the various versions of the bible.  It does this across not just
different translations (yes, I know the idea that there could be
anything other than the king James is an anathema to some people)
but across the vulgate, Greek and Aramaic.

It called a CONCORDANCE.

It occurs to me that this is a better description of what the CVE
is trying to do than calling it a database or a taxonomy.

Just a thought.
Anton J Aylward, CISSP          | The Internet is not the greatest
System Integrity                        | threat to information security;
InfoSec Auditing & Consulting   | stupidity is the greatest threat
Voice: (416) 421-8182           | to information security.
aja () si on ca                         |   Will Spencer <will.spencer () gte net>