Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: BigIP controller - any issues?

From: "Hardcastle, Kevin" <Hardcask () abcbs com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 08:57:24 -0500

Internet Security Conference and he gave me a copy of a white paper on load
balancing Gauntlet Firewalls.  To summarize, Network Associates recommends
that you use Big/IP for firewall load balancing.

I have used Big/IP to load balance web servers, but never got around to
applying that technology to firewalls.  The only gotcha that I can remember
is when the primary Big/IP device failed and the secondary took over, we had
to manually refresh the downstream routers ARP tables to direct all traffic
to the secondary box.  It does fail over, but not as clean as we were let
on.  If I were looking for another appliance for load balancing, they would
probably be added to the list.

I would agree with Chris, that the session state would be lost in the event
of an outage.  Proxies would need to refresh all connection through the
failover device.

Kevin