Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: pcanywhere

From: "Desai, Ashish" <Ashish.Desai () fmr com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 16:39:26 -0400

        If  the VPN client is going to be a PC at home (family with kids) I
would be
VERY scared. The problem is that kids (or any family member for that matter)
tend to download a lot of stuff and you never know
when BackOrifice2k like tool gets installed on your PC. When that happens
all bets regarding
the security of the VPN client are off.
        Heck the FBI is now seeing cases where the kid install something
that had BO2k and
the poor dad's bank account got broken into because he use an online banking
system.

        So unless you can say that the you can secure the clients I would
not allow PCanywhwere or for that matter ANY connectivity from the client PC
(including SSH).

(VPN's from home computers are dangerous if you don't know what software is
going to be installed on the PC)

Ashish Desai
Fidelity Investments
Boston