Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: How do folks firewall MS Exchange?

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () enternet se>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 11:33:10 +0200

Dan Schlitt wrote:

How do folks work access to an MS Exchange server through a firewall?

You really do not want to let people access your Exchange server from
the outside without some form of authentication/tunneling protocol.

You have to pass through NetBIOS RPC (port 135) to do it, and I have
a really bad feeling about that protocol.
Also, it cannot be NATed without fooling around with the payload;
I haven't seen a firewall that can do that.

I assume you're talking about roaming salespeople? The best way
to give them access to the server while "on the road" is to
let them S-HTTP to the Exchange server (not plain HTTP).
Their web interface actually isn't half bad.

If you're talking about a branch office, you might want to
consider installing a second server there and setup a tunnel
between the servers; this would allow the calendars and whatnot
to replicate between both servers.

Hope this helps
/Mikael

--
Mikael Olsson, EnterNet Sweden AB, Box 393, S-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK
Phone: +46-(0)660-105 50           Fax: +46-(0)660-122 50