Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SMTP Firewall (fwd)

From: Roy Stevens <tobor () ns compunetservices com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 08:49:16 -0500 (CDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 10:26:32 -0500 (CDT)
From: Roy Stevens <tobor@ns>
To: Kenneth_W_Fox () sbphrd com
Subject: Re: SMTP Firewall

They currently employ 2 firewalls.  One of which has all internal clients
6,000 + http browsers pointed at.  The other carries 95+ % of the mail.
This is accomplish through DNS mail record prefernce.  Both firewalls are
currently configured identically.  They rely on DNS to split services.
There is an inititive to move to a load sharing scenareo.  I estimate
that the SMTP load will be approximately 25%.  They will also be adding
additional services Real Media, news, other streaming content.

The only positive argument I have is that by moving the mail service to
it's own cluster (2 for redundancy) is that it will extend the usable
life of the current hardware investment.

Both clusters will be running aplication gateway proxy software.  There
is in place virus scanning for SMTP via an additonal server place
between the firewall and the corp e-mail servers.

I like the ideal of seperating the service, so that I can customize TCP
setting for web traffic on one set while optimizing setting for mail type
traffic on the other.  This also would enable me to idependantly change,
upgrade OS or applications without impacting the other, if this change is
more suited to one type of service to the other.

As for as administering the additional boxes, we currently admin about 20
so 2 more should be no big deal.

I am looking for tangable items to support this decision or to deny it.
My personal preference does not count for much.

Thanks