Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Client Access from Internet to Oracle Databases -SQL*Net orVPN or ...?

From: "Peter J. Kunz" <pkunz () icu unizh ch>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 11:52:59 +0200

I would apprciate comments from the group regarding the trade-off of ease
of access versus security of these approaches, or others which are known to
work.

I don't know the ORacle products that well, but I guess the question to
ask is how sensitive is the network you're giving access to, how
sensitive is the DB data and what are the chances of someone
unauthorized receiving a certificate.

SAP has introduced Proxies for direct access to SAP R/3 via the
Internet. I'd be very wary about offering such a service into the heart
of my SAP DB with all the financials, HR, inventory, etc. Perhaps some
parts of the DB can be separated, but the way I perceive SAP to work,
ist that everyhting is somehow intertwined...

cu
-pete