Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: ICMP Well-Known Port

From: wpl1 () jps net
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:39:08 -0700

Yesterday I posted:

"Evidently I'm really missing the boat.  I've been trying to find the
well-known port for ICMP.  Is there no such thing?"

Today, I received not one, not two or three or five, but twenty-nine
accord.  Very impressive, indeed.  Thank you all for setting me straight.

One respondent asked me to specify why I was interested in the status of
ICMP.  Well, I'm tinkering with Alan Phillips' Programmer's File Editor,
watching traffic across my workstation NIC, some of which is ICMP,
apparently.  I was wondering whether or not a conduit on the PIX would be
required for ICMP and, if so, which port would apply.  I have learned
twenty-nine times over that ICMP is itself a protocol (as in Internet
Control Message Protocol, duh), not a ported service.

Further thanks to those of you who included URLs worth visiting.  And, yes,
I have read Comer's Internetworking with TCP/IP, a superb treatment of the
topic, but there's only so much of it that I can absorb.

Finally, I did not intend any sort of pun by juxtaposing "missing the boat"
and "well-known port."  Until now.

Dean C. Rowan
Whittier Public Library