Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

NT domain WAN

From: hermit1 <hermits () mac com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 08:33:22 -0700

A high mucky-muck of my company wants to set up an NT domain with machines scattered around the USA. (Why is a little unclear to me, but he wants it.....) When this was proposed last year I screamed and they gave up, for a while. Now I want advice on whether putting a Cisco VPN router at each office would be considered to offer enough security. This is not for a lot of traffic or for really important stuff. They mostly claim to want to share files and printers - even though no one can explain to me why someone in Denver should want to print to a printer in Boston.

I pointed out that the security risk is additive (actually x to the nth power, but keep it simple) since compromise of one machine gives access to all the others, and anyone who has access to any machine behind the router probably can access all the NT machines in the domain. This is acceptible to them, since they already have NT domains scattered through a couple of buildings (all behind the same firewall, though).

Is this considered safe?
Any suggestions for making this a safer project?
Any reasons or examples that indicate why this is a bad idea?

Thanks,
hermit1