Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: blocking icmp type 3

From: "Ofir Arkin" <ofir () itcon-ltd com>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 23:03:08 +0200

Jan,

When blocking incoming ICMP Destination Unreachable
Network/Host/Protocol/Port Unreachable ICMP error messages coming from the
Internet, host(s) would hang when the destination system's network is
unreachable/when a host is unreachable/when a protocol on the destination
machine is not available/a port on a destination machine is closed. They all
would hang until the timeout counter would reach zero.
Sometimes having a little inconveniently is better than having the dangers
other types of ICMP error messages inside your network can introduce.

For more information I suggest you read my paper "ICMP Usage In Scanning"
available in PDF format from
www.sys-security.com.

Ofir Arkin  [ofir () itcon-ltd com]
Senior Security Analyst