Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Recent Attacks

From: "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist () ekahuna com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 00:41:47 -0800

On 15 Feb 00, at 13:56, Matthew_S_Cramer () armstrong co boldly uttered:

Paul Vixie as a prank once collaborated with Jon Postel
and hijacked some of the root servers, redirected some of
their answers (Internic's page?) to their own sites.  But
Postel was one of the most powerful people in the 'net and
Vixie is in charge of BIND, so they had a bit of an advantage
over your average script-kiddie. :-)

Interesting - now the FBI would call that prank "cyber-terrorism".

Matt

Well actually I believe at the time they were saying they
were doing an "experiment".

And I suppose there's a smidgen of truth to that. <g>

Of course, now that the corporate world has laid their
claim on the net as the engine of profit, such things
are definitely not taken as lightly as they were back
then.

Did a quick search and turned up a reference to this prank,
in the piece Vixie wrote in memorial to Jon.  You can check
it out at:

http://www.wired.com/news/print_version/culture/story/15679.html

Phil