Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Paper on why I need a security Assessment

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 10:18:24 -0500

2000-02-05-02:40:11 Omar T. Fahnbulleh:
You can write your own Security assessment if you use RFC2196.

You can write your own security assessment if you know what you're
doing. RFC2196 may help you learn what you're doing; it's not a bad
doc. There are lots of other good resources I'd recommend; first and
foremost is always Bellovin and Cheswick's Firewalls and Internet
Security, it makes all the basic concepts clear.

But no matter how expert you are, there are things you don't know.
And unless you way, _WAY_ more expert than the auditor (only a
problem if you get a computer security audit from a financial
auditing firm, and don't squeeze 'em by the goolies until they cough
up a real security analyst) just getting an independant second look
at your security policy and implementation can be a big help.

-Bennett