Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: DMZ design - Exchange, SQL, & DCOM

From: "Michael Borkin" <borkin () netquest com>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 11:17:23 -0500

Omar,

Thanks for the response and overly kind offer.  I will definitely be taking
you up on that off-list (hey, I may be stupid but I am not stupid enough to
pass up an offer of help), but I wanted to throw the questions that your
response brought up for me at the list as well.

    <snip>

        I will suggest 3 nic cards, you should also use SPLIT DNS

    </snip>

Does checkpoint offer SPLIT DNS as a feature of its FW-1 product or is it
some kind of add-on?

    <snip>

        You can get an SMTP Relay server (Mimesweeper) that will
        also scan all incoming and out going e-mails for Viruses.

    </snip>

I was actually looking at purchasing an anti-virus program that incorporates
with the firewall rather than putting it on the SMTP relay box (such as
Aladdin's e-safe protect or a similar product from Trend Micro that I do not
recall the name of right now).  Is there any real advantage to having it out
in the DMZ rather than at the firewall?  Any product recommendations in this
area?

Thanks again and look forward to talking to you soon,

Mike