Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

proxy firewall and email

From: Neil Ratzlaff <neil.ratzlaff () ucop edu>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 14:48:34 -0800

Caveat: I can give advice to the site in question, but I have no control over it. The site admins are not very knowledgable about either their mail server or firewall and consultants set it up for them.

I have a question about Raptor firewall and MS Exchange smtp server behind it. The information below is to the best of my knowledge, but be aware I know nothing about either Raptor or Exchange or NT. Together they seem to create an open relay for spam.

The Raptor firewall accepts all mail and passes it to the smtp server for delivery. If the recipient is not a valid user, the mail gets bounced by the smtp server, but to the address in the From field, not to the sender or last smtp server. Since you can put anything you want to in that field, you can send spam via this relay, albeit perhaps slowly. The firewall does not keep a list of legitimate users, so it can't reject mail as it should.

I am sure other places have dealt with this process, so how can I advise this site to fix their setup? I would expect that Raptor should be able to hook into Exchange to validate recipients, but the site admin tells me it can't. I would be happy to tell them how to make Raptor just check that the recipient domain is correct, which should be easy to check. A post from the May99 archive of this list strongly suggests this is the correct way to proceed.

Can anyone tell me how to explain to the site how to make this work?

Thanks,
Neil