Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Firewalls, PC static routes, gateways

From: jfa () sphere com (John F. Appel)
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 15:12:50 -0500

(ASCII art below, used fixed-width font)

Randy,

Cleanest way is to have a second internal router inside the firewall,
which then becomes the default gateway for the internal network.
Your end picture looks like this:

        |----------|
        | Internet |
        |  router  |
        |----------|

        |----------|
        |----------|    static routes to all of

        |----------|            |---------|                     |---------|
        | Internal |------------|   LAN   |-------------|Alternate|
        |  router  |            |---------|                     | Gateway |
        |----------|                                            |---------|
                ^
                |               This becomes default
                |----------     gateway for your LAN; uses
                                inside interface of FW as
                                default GW

        Used and working in a number of places. 8-)  Of course, this assumes
that what's beyond the alternate gateway is trusted (or that you can
make management care if it isn't fully trusted...)

Cheers,

John

John Appel
Sphere Solutions, Inc.