Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re:Bypassing firewall

From: TDyson () sybex com
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 07:38:07 -0800

If the firewall is just a packet filter, rather than proxy based, even
netcat could do the job I bet.

Time to check out your company's acceptable use policy to see if it forbids
this sort of thing.  If it does, contact HR and pursue disciplinary action.
If it doesn't, ask the user how he did it, so you can increase your own
skill set.

Thom Dyson
Director of Information Services
Sybex, Inc

Hi!

Back where I work, we are using a firewall the blocks everything coming
in,
and gives internal users permission to use the www, ftp, pop and mail
ports.  (no icq, no aol, no nothing else).

But I overheard one of my users bragging that it bypassed the firewall
using two linux machines doing port redirection.

I did a little research on this and the most plausible way I found is
that
he is running a linux inside the firewall which grabs everyhing on a
certain port (let's say the icq server port), then forward it through
port
80 to another linux box outside the firewall which make the actual call
the icq server on the right port.  Is that possible?  Is there any other
alternatives he can be using?