Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Binding inetd to ip

From: John White <johnjohn () triceratops com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:59:43 -0800

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 10:36:29PM -0800, dwelch () hotmail com wrote:
On Tue, 25 January 2000, Nicholas Tang wrote:

Is it possible to bind inetd to a specific ip address/ethernet card under
linux?  I haven't been able to find any info myself, but the reason I
ask is because I currently am running a nameserver that has two network
cards.

Probably not without hacking inetd. I belive it does a bind to 0.0.0.0, which
+effectively means "bind to all IPs on the system." You'd have to change it to
+bind to a specific interface, which is probably not all that difficult to do.

Dan Bernstein's dnscache package contains several different kinds of
nameservers, all of which are easier to configure than BIND, and bind
to specific IP's.

http://cr.yp.to/dnscache.html

John White