Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: VPN Glossary On Line!

From: Rick Smith <rick_smith () securecomputing com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 12:07:13 -0600

At 10:39 AM 01/10/2000 -0600, Moore, James wrote:
Just outta' curiosity: Do you have any references (other than Smith's book)
on the term "annual solar limit", and how that applies to brute-force key
searches?

Bruce Schneier talks about it in "Applied Cryptography" and the folks at
the Natl Research Council talked about it in their CRISIS report.

I've seen arguments by physicists as to whether or not the arguments really
hold water, based on different interpretations of the notion of entropy.
Some physicists claim that the concept is sound while others say it's a
misinterpretation. So maybe we have the speed of light, or maybe we have
the 'sound barrier.'

Rick.
smith () securecomputing com
"Internet Cryptography" at http://www.visi.com/crypto/