Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Linux Proxy Server ?

From: "Matt Bruce" <matt.bruce () alphawest com au>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 09:27:57 +0800

Hi all,

Well, we tried out T.Rex on a spare RedHat 6.1 box here in the office. After
spending about 4 hours waiting for the damned thing to compile and later
finding that various libraries were missing, we pretty much gave up on the
whole idea. Note that our stumbling block was the jumping through hoops
required to get it working, rather than any specific problem with the
product.

On a lighter note - I'm quite impressed with the list of features for
netfilter/ipfilter (http://netfilter.kernelnotes.org) that is due to
supersede ipchains with Linux kernel 2.3 and higher.

Unless I'm gravely mistaken, it appears that it will add stateful inspection
to the packet filtering, making it as close to a firewall as Linux has ever
got straight out of the box (to coin a phrase). :)

Regards,
Matt Bruce
These opinions are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer.