Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall configuration questions.

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 16:45:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, daN. wrote:

This is the problem as I see it:
           1                                                 2
<some real IP's>----<Firewall>---<some more real IP's>-----<Gateway>

where Gateway does not know that Firewall exists and expects all Real IP's
to be directly behind it and Both sets of real IPs belong to the same class C.

so lets same we want to split the subnet in half so we have the upper half
in part one and the lower half in part 2 or whatever..you still have the
problem of how to tell the gateway to use the firewall as a gateway to the
IPs behind it.  This is what the Proxy Arping does...Course I might totally
be misreading the problem  as well :)..

I see what you are saying here, but, still would this not be more akin to:

           1                                                 2

                    <Firewall>
<some real IP's>------------------<some more real IP's>-----<Gateway>--

meaning that the firewall in question, is a single interface
bastion, splitting and/or controlling access on a single subnet?
Unless an actual subnetting is taking place, there is only one
interface in the firewall attached to the single subnet in question,
yes?  This might be what you also ment, I'm just making sure I've
interpreted correctly.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

daN.