Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Available info on NetScreen 1000

From: "Laura Taylor" <ltaylor () technologyevaluation com>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 19:48:01 -0400

The Netscreen 1000 can do static routes. It does not support OSPF, RIP,
VRRP, IGRP, or BGP4.
For RAM it can scale to over 256mb. Has processor speed of 300-399Mhz. For
network interfaces
it has 2 Gigabit ethernet interfaces, and one 100BaseT/10BaseT port. As far
as NAT goes, it only
supports 1:1 addressing. As far firewall rules go, you do not need to reboot
it after adding or
changing a rule, and both user rules and group rules can be defined. It
supports user authentication,
but does not support host or session authentication. For VPNs, it supports
site to site, secure remote
access (VPN client), IPSec, DES, 3DES, IKE. It does not support any
multimedia protocols.
Content filters supported include Active X, JavaApplet read protection,
JavaApplet write protection,
and URL blocking. For logging it uses syslog, maximum simultaneous
connections is 500,000-699,999
and in case you are into certifications, it is ICSA certified. For
monitoring it supports SNMP,
SNMP MIBII, SNMP Generic, SNMPv2, PowerSupply Status, Fan Tray Status, and
ping/traceroute (duh of course).
Also supports SecureID. Maximum throughput up to a Gb.

I gleaned all this information from the standard firewall survey that I give
to all firewall
vendors. I have not verified any of it yet, but before hand, I give stern
warnings to all firewall
vendors that if they give me erroneous information, whether intentionally or
accidentally, there are
potential consequences which may adversely affect any potential reviews I do
of their products.