Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: nmap on the internal interface of a PIX

From: Daniel Monjar <dmonjar () orgtek com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 09:07:56 -0400

On 09/13 17:02 -0700, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
That's why NMAP says filtered... To nmap, when it receives a connection-reset
reply, (meaning nothing is listening on a particular TCP port), it ignores
it, but when it gets NO reply (e.g. your packeteer filter), then it assumes
the port is filered....

I do discard X11, pcanywhere, and irc so that makes sense.  I also
discard Appletalk, Netbeui, LAT, and mpeg-audio.  Do they use ports
differently?

--
Daniel Monjar (mailto:dmonjar () orgtek com)
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,