Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PIX 520 Help.....

From: Avishai Wool <avishai_w () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 09:16:40 -0700 (PDT)

Ross,

I was surprised to see that you posted your PIX config to the
net, many people don't do that (which is a form of security by
obscurity really IMHO...).

But since you did, I grabbed it and ran it thru the Lumeta Firewall
Analyzer (LFA). I'll send you the report in a private email. The
analysis showed that, as you experience, no ICMP traffic can come into your
network from the outside, despite the fact that you have a
conduit statement and a couple of access lists defined.

I believe that the reason is that you have no 'static' command exporting your
internal ip addresses to inbound connections. The 'nat'/'global'
will let you make outbound connections (the LFA report shows that
you can, e.g., browse the web).

Hope this helps,
 Avishai

=====
Avishai Wool, Ph.D.,  Chief Scientist & Co-Founder, Lumeta Corp.
220 Davidson Ave, 4th Floor, Somerset, NJ 08873, USA
Email: yash () acm org        Web: http://research.lumeta.com/yash/
Phone: (732) 357-3511  Cell: (973) 420-5919  Fax: (732) 564-0731
    ** Want to audit or debug your firewall's policy? **
Lumeta Firewall Analyzer: http://www.lumeta.com/firewall.html