Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Extranet vs. VPN (was: Non-IPsec VPN products)

From: "MONTENEGRO,FERNANDO (HP-Canada,ex1)" <fernando_montenegro () hp com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 10:59:26 -0400

Hi!

I always considered the following:
- VPN - Virtual Private Network (though Marcus initially called them Virtual
Network Perimeters, which I though was more appropriate) - technology for
implementing "private" communications over "public" networks. This can mean
many things, including things like routing policies, layer 2 (L2TP,L2F,...),
layer 3 (IPSec,swIPe,...), layer 4 (SOCKS, SSL) tunnelling, among others.
- Extranet - the marketing-friendly term for the "environment" consisting of
the infrastructure shared between your company and your partners, including
communication links (with or without VPNs), access to partner-only
applications (such as order tracking, inventory, ...)

So in this case an Extranet uses VPNs as part of the technologies used to
implement it.

HTH.

Cheers,
Fernando
--
Fernando S. Montenegro, CISSP  -  fernando_montenegro () hp com
DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed above are my own and do not necessarily