Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: DMZ Archtecture - Using public address space vs. using Private Ad dress space and NAT

From: "ruka +" <ruka () my-deja com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 08:47:11 -0700

Another reason for using private address space+NAT is a possible future migration for another ISP. It's just a matter
of changing the NAT rules in the firewall.

If using public addresses in the DMZ machines, you'll have to change config files, scripts using IP addresses, and only
devil knows what  problems can surface. ;->

"Stapleton, Bernard (Australia)" <bernard_stapleton () exchange au ml com> "'firewall-wizards () nfr com'"
<firewall-wizards () nfr com>Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 01:04:28 +0900

Everyone,

We have started an interesting conversation at work at the moment, regarding
whether to use public address space in our DMZs.

The idea of using public address space has its pros and cons.

Pro:

No address conflict with connecting to external partners. They can route
this space internally and so can you, without fear of conflict with another
party.
No need for address translation / simplification of management
Ease of passing protocols that are difficult to firewall

Cons

Security risk if firewall host still routes if firewall software shutdown
More complex management

I was wondering if anyone on this list has anything to say about this topic?
I would like to know what people might be doing internally themselves, and
why they came to that decision.

Thanks

Berny

All opinions / arguements and anything else otherwise stated in this email
are my own, and not of my employer.