Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: ActiveX filtering through firewalls

From: Tony Howlett <thowlett () netsecuritysvcs com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 09:29:32 -0600

I wonder if this is a common problem for the security community ?
(i.e. people just block ActiveX on the firewall.)
How would you secure ActiveX in your environment ?
Any good practice you know of ???

Im doing a study of the security in Windows XP and one of the things it claims is Software restriction policys which theoretically allow admins to create a policy to push down to the desktops that would disallow activeX, java and other malware type applets. Of course all the PCs would have to be XP and this might break more than it fixes given the number of websites that use this code. However, if you were at a site that was fairly restrictive in what it allowed in term of web surfing and had a homogenous XP network then it might work. I havent actually tested this in reality yet but im planning on it. Im putting XP through all its paces and trying to verify from an independant standpoint all of the claims they make in their marketing literature.