Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Nokia Checkpoint firewall

From: Christopher Lee <complexity () bigfoot com>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 00:42:11 -0500 (EST)

Joseph,

Assuming we are talking about a plain/typical distributed configuration of
CheckPoint firewalls, we would have two types of licenses to concern ourselves
with: the EC (Enterprise Console) and the FM/VFM (Firewall Module/VPN Firewall
Module) licenses.

You would need to have a FM/VFM for each of your firewalls and an EC for the
management console (one EC license per management console).  If you are using
the X/MOTIF gui, then you would also need the MOTIF license on your management
console.

However, if you are using a Provider-1/SiteManager-1 product, you will need to
get MDS and CMA licenses instead of the EC licenses for management console.

Well, as you could see here, the discussion of CheckPoint licensing is actually
fairly complicated (it varies depending on what specific feature you are
getting and the type of setup).  Your best bet would be your friendly local
CheckPoint reseller who sold you the product.  Or, you could give us
the "Features" listed on your firewall licenses and we could help you decipher
the language of CheckPoint licensing for you.

Regards,

Chris

Quoting "Redwine, Joseph, MAJ, 125 OPERATIONS SUPPORT FT, IN"
<Joseph.Redwine () FLJACK ANG AF MIL>:

I purchased the Nokia IP330 FW-1 with Checkpoint s/w support and the
ABC-user license.
Do I need a separate license in order to manage the policies?  I plan
deploy the firewall
in a remote location and want to manage the rules from my central
location.
We have the
firewall setup and interfaces configured, but my staff states that a
license
is missing for
policy management.

Thanks in advance.