Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Storage Firewall

From: "John W. Black" <jwblack () vizoar com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 17:57:24 -0500

I have only the two web sites to rely on, but this is how it looks to me.

The device creates a password-protected copy of the drive with OS and apps
on it.  Each time the system reboots, the drive is restored. Kind of like
they invented the bootable-CD.  I don't see any real protection here.

1.  There does not prevent unauthorized reading of data.  They don't claim
read-protection  "allowing hackers to delete any critical files, change
passwords or hack into it any way they want "

2.  Anyone who can obtain the password can modify the protected storage
area.   "The Storage Firewall provides Password Authenticated Access to
authorized users to install new content and upgrades into the Storage
Vault,. . ."    Hmmm, how hard can that be ?

3.  Any read/write data is stored in separate partition or drive so no
protection there.

    From the sounds of things, they are after the computer-appliance market,
where HD data does not change.  They state:  "With ValtĀ·X installed,
commodity technology based computers become Highly Dependable Computers"
    This might be an OK product for public access terminals, such as
libraries or store displays, where even if the rogue user destroys the
operating system, a reboot effectively runs a restore and brings the system
back to life in it's original state (like a dumb-terminal).  This would not
help if the user gained access to the backup partition.

John.