Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Sonicwall or Watchguard

From: "B. James Phillippe" <bryanxms () ecst csuchico edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:07:33 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Eric Budke wrote:

I can't speak from an administration standpoint, but from a user
standpoint, my company's Watchguard sucks.

It requires a reboot to update rules (from what I understand they are

They just released version 5.0 which doesn't have this problem anymore.

And the "VPN" solution is really false advertising. It just opens up a
hole in your firewall. If you are using any sort of NAT, you have now
opened up a whole in your firewall for all the other users behind that
nat to get in.

I don't understand what you mean here.  I have used WatchGuard's VPN
(IPSec) and NAT and have not had any security issues; the VPN tunnel is
configured completely separate to the NAT and security policies, and both
NAT and security policies can be applied to VPN traffic (within the
tunnel).

-bp
--
# bryanxms at ecst dot csuchico dot edu