Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Blocking at firewall via MAC address

From: "B. Scott Harroff" <Scott.Harroff () att net>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 16:51:31 -0500

Wizards,

I apologize again for my lack of clarification and apparent growing
frustration.  I appreciate the Wizards re-confirming my current understating
of this technique and its limitations. However, my question was not "Please
inform me of the reasons blocking by MAC address will not work, should not
be used, or how to circumvent it".

The business partner has a simple requirement - if the laptops MAC address
does not match a list of predetermined addresses, it does not pass though
the firewall.  In my opinion this requirement is over design for the
environment, but I will meet it.

If there is a wizard that knows how to meet this requirement with OpenBSD
(2.9 or 3.0) / IPFilter, I'd really like to hear from you.   If not, I will
simply implement a switch that will meet the business partner's requirement.

My apologies in advance if I've offended anyone with my frankness.