Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Intrusion Detection Systems, Best of breed?

From: Predrag Zivic <pzivic () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 07:44:00 -0800 (PST)

Just to add to the mix. Data intrusion detection
system is also one that one should think about.

How one controls intrusion on confidential documents?

Marry XmaS

pez

--- Ofir Arkin <ofir () sys-security com> wrote:
Rob,

As I have noticed only Talisker gave you an answer
(and may I say a very
good one), I decided to give you my view, just
because it is Xmas :)

Intrusion Detection is a three fold thing (my
opinion flames to
/dev/null).
We got the Network Intrusion Detection (NIDS), Host
Intrusion Detection
(HIDS), and the Application Intrusion Detection
(AIDS).

As the order they are written, this is also the
order in which people
remember them or tend to forget :)

Most of the discussion is only being done about
Network Intrusion
Detection, and with this one Talisker gave you a
good answer.

Please bear-in-mind that Host Intrusion Detection is
also a very
important thing to have. Usually the price for a
good product is not
that high (4 numbers), and the products doing a
great job and giving you
added value and not just a Host IDS solution but
some give you a total
defense capabilities.

One such product is Entercept
(http://www.entercept.com/).
[It must be the Xmas spirit making me recommend
products :)]

There are other good bunches of them as well.

Hope this helps

Merry Xmas all

Ofir Arkin [ofir () sys-security com]
Founder
The Sys-Security Group
http://www.sys-security.com
PGP CC2C BE53 12C6 C9F2 87B1 B8C6 0DFA CF2D D360
43FA