Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: egress/ingress filtering

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 19:22:47 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Crist Clark wrote:

It is now assigned to ARIN, who has subsequently given out most of that
to coax cable operators, whereas a few months ago, 65/8 was an IANA
reserved block. That is why one should not go about blocking all IANA
reserved blocks without knowing _why_ that block is reserved. At some
point in the future, that block may come into use and how long would it
take you to realize that your border router is blocking legitimate traffic
because it is from a formerly reserved block.

Right.  SecurityFocus.com just moved into 66.38.151.x.  I had a number of
phone calls with an Army guy who couldn't figure out why we were
"portscanning" him.  Turns out that he had his website set up to grab our
headline thingy once an hour or so.  He'd send SYN packets, we'd send
SYN-ACK, and he'd block them on the way in, because apparantly 66 was ARIN
reserved until recently.  He had a rather complete set of ingress filters.

                                                Ryan