Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Air gap technologies

From: Avi Rubin <rubin () research att com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 16:15:43 -0500

Crispin Cowan wrote:
...snip...

The interesting question is "what value does the switch hardware provide
in defending the inside half of the proxy?"

...snip...

I'm not going to repeat what I said before, but if you go back and look
at my message, I started off by saying that regardless of whether or not
the hardware switch is a big deal, I was impressed with their solution.
They have a very intuitive interface, a great GUI, and they seemed to
have made many good design decisions regarding how to handle data on the
internal side. If you read my previous post, you will see that I said
that I thought this solution is good because it is easy to administer. I
explicitly stated that I was not commenting on the switch hardware. You
can take that away, and I like their solution almost as much. Of course,
if you take that away, it would be nice if you could find another way to
make the inside machine non-addressable from the outside. There are
other ways to do this, but theirs is cool, and it's a nice gimmick too.

All in all, I was simply posting the opinion that these guys at Whale
technologies were impressive, and that I liked their technology.

(I hesitated about even getting involved in posting something to a
mailing list that is so fraught with personal agendas and product wars.
Some of the follow-up posts have since made me think that I should butt
out, and let the vendors pushing their wares fight it out on this list.)

Avi

--
http://avirubin.com/