Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: (no subject)

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 18:21:20 -0500 (EST)

We do that here with the same OS, but, also run IDS on the inside, to see
if what is tossed at us makes it past the FW.  But, the point of IDs in
front is merely to see what kind of things are being tossed upfront, what
new toys are being used and all.  If there's to be only one IDS system,
I'd prefer it behind the FW to make sure it remains a silent device,
catching nothing from a well honed FW upfront.  Remember an IDS up front
is going to be a noisy beast.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne