Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Backup of DMZ Servers

From: poke <poke () silverlink net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 08:06:12 -0700 (PDT)

Netbackup is no better. The server contacts the client and then the client
initiates a  connection back on a random port < 10000.

I suggest using tar or something on the servers themselves, scp'ing the
tarballs to a box on your trusted network, and using Legato to backup that
box.

We use a similar method that is a bit more efficient. We use rsync via ssh
to do an automated nightly full backup to a hard drive and then use tar to
spool directly to tape. The benefit is that rsync (rsync.samba.org) only
copies over files that have changed and deletes from the backup image that
which no longer exist on the DMZ machine. It effectively creates an exact
mirror image of the drive I want to back up. It usually only takes about 5
minutes to sync up the image, as long as you have a "seed" image.

I'm not sure about rsync for NT, but I do know that the FAQ-O-Matic
references some DOS questions and the source code is freely available.

I can mail a copy of our backup script upon request.

-Chuck

--
:"Condense fact from the vapor of nuance"| $s=$ARGV[0];$n='';while($s) :
: 25 -> ten.knilrevlis@wkcuhc            |  {$s=~s/(.$)//;$n=$n.$1;}   :