Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

OTP for smartcards (Was: SecureID vs Certificates)

From: Carson Gaspar <carson () taltos org>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 00:20:48 -0800

--On Friday, February 16, 2001 9:23 AM +1100 Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au> wrote:

I've been playing with an iKey-2000 and while it's kind of cool when
used with Netscape, it still requires a static password/pass phrase
to unlock it.  What I want is for that password to be an SKEY input
(or similar).

This is certainly possible with today's smartcard technology. All OPIE requires is SHA1 and a small amount of storage. There are some potential obstacles:

- Does the card allow you to install your own code for PIN validation? (obviously fixable by the card manufacturer) - Does the card interface protocol allow for a challenge to be retreived before transmitting a PIN?
- Does PKCS#11 allow for said challenge?
- Can the card accept a long-enough alpha-numeric PIN?

It's probably worth talking to the Citi UMich folks about this. I'm sure Honey would love it.

--
Carson Gaspar - carson () taltos org
Queen trapped in a butch body