Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: Firewall-1 platforms

From: hermit1 <hermits () mac com>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 09:15:02 -0800

As far as I know, Nokia does not do load balancing. It can do load sharing. (Ask me for details in 2 months after I implement it.) This can be done by pointing half the internal machines to one machine and the rest of the internal hosts to the other Nokia. Pretty crude.

What I expect to do is use OSPF. Basic explanation is that the routers on each side of the firewalls do a hash on the source/destination IP addresses for every packet and allocate the connection to one machine or the other based on the result. Better make sure both routers are using the same hash :-) or you get assymetric traffic.

hermit1