Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Gauntlet V6.0

From: "Evan Wagner" <ewagner () Radix Net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 16:34:48 -0500

I've not used Gauntlet, my comments were directed at the OS itself. Sounds
like it is best option is to go with Solaris 8 to take advantage of the
latest Gauntlet enhancements. I referenced Solaris 7 because most
manufacturers push customers to stay within 1 major revision of the current
OS release. My personal preference is 2.6.

Solaris 8 has some great features (tighter security, fs journaling, etc.)
but I don't know if it is ready for prime time yet.

In the company where I work, we've had numerous strange issues crop up with
Solaris 8 that were never a problem in 2.51, 2.6 and even 7.  We have 2.6
and 2.7 boxes that are rock solid and run happily for 1 year+ no problem.
More than a handful of similarly configured Solaris 8 boxes crash with
greater frequency (some in weeks, some in 1-2 months). None of these are
clone systems!

<I do have 4 rackmount SPARC clones that run without any probs however THEY
eat power supplies and kill hard disks quick 8) >

Here are a couple observations off the top of my head:

System performance varies wildly and generally not as snappy as 2.6/7 (rough
guess is 10-15% slower).

ufsdump has some performance issues (may be the result of new fs changes
more than anything else) and can take quite a bit longer.

Annoynaces like certain CD ROMs refusing to automount and hanging systems
with standard installs (same CD's work fine when the system was waxed and
Solaris 2.6 or 7 installed).

--Evan