Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Exchange Server 2000 and Cisco Pix

From: shewitt () cdw com
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 10:30:34 -0500

Yes, you will want to disable the SMTP fixup.  It causes a lot of problems
with exchange.  Use the command: "no fixup protocol smtp 25" to disable it.

It acts as a proxy to the smtp server by filtering the commands that it
sends to the server.  In doing this, it tends to cause problems with the
sending and receiving server.

There is also a known bug that keeps biting me regarding how the PIX handles
the end of a SMTP message.  If the end of message signifier . <CRLF> come in
on seperate packets, the pix doesn't recognize it as the end of the e-mail.
Because of this, the PIX never acknowledges that the message was received
successfully.  So, my local SMTP server keeps resending the message to the
client.

There is a documented PIX bug on cisco's site.  They have fixed the bug and
it is in the newer releases of PIX software.

Check out the bug if you have a CCO login
<http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCds90792>