Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: IIS buffer overflows and firewalls

From: "Michael D. Nickle" <nickle10 () home com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 12:15:19 -0600

This really goes back to something that my dad used to say to me all
time, "Measure twice and cut once".  Except that in our case it
should be bound and context check twice, apply one.  Getting back to
your question though Rick, I'm not so sure that the firewall is the
proper place to make these checks.

There is a multitude of different web server and web application
server products out there.  If we looked at all of the various
combinations we'd see that one app combos buffer overflow is anothers
acceptable URL.  We'd also find quite a few sites that have various
brands o' web server behind the same firewall which further
complicates the rule base.  This is where an application input
validator like the Sanctum or pelican would be very helpful.  They
can also protect from PUT and POST method based attacks.  Of course
some filtering at the firewall layer might not be a bad idea.  How
many sites have actually implemented the CONNECT method?  TRACE?