Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Blocking IM via DNS

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () wirex com>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 20:53:18 -0800

Kenneth Porter wrote:

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:51:39 -0500, robert_david_graham wrote:

You may also find this this can save bandwidth and increase privacy. For
example, add an entry for "*.doubleclick.net" that points somewhere else.
This will prevent user's machines from downloading advertisement graphics as
well as prevent tracking of user's activities by DoubleClick through
webbugs. (Yes, you can use "*" as a DNS name in BIND and Microsoft DNS
servers). I have about 30 such entries on my personal DNS server to block
advertisements.

The problem here is that some content sites only supply content *after*
they've received confirmation from the ad site that you've downloaded
the ad. One site I read shows nothing but empty frames unless I allow
the ad URL's through.

In my experience, this effect only happens if you have javascript enabled. Disable javascript and try it again.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.